Community Impact

People need to feed themselves, next they need to feed their own communities.
— Wendell Berry

AS OF 11/30/18

  • 62,316 meals have been served since we opened in July of 2015.

  • 19,087 meals have been served to-date in 2018.

  • 19,598 meals served in 2017. An increase of 27% from 2016.

  • An average of 70 meals are served per day. The record is 155 meals served in one day.


  • In 2018, 560 unduplicated volunteers have worked a total of 3,403 hours.

  • Of those, 255 individuals have worked 600 hours in exchange for a meal; 1,104 hours for required community service (court, housing, education); and 1,689 hours for voluntary community service.

  • In 2017, 658 unduplicated volunteers worked a total of 4,761 hours.

  • Of those, 289 individuals worked a total of 840 hours in exchange for meals; 1,417 hours for required community service (court, housing, education); and 2,450 hours for voluntary community service.


  • To-date, average amount paid/donated for a meal: $9.41. The average ticket order is $13.04. Meaning, there is a gap of $3.63 between the suggested donation/price and what is actually being donated/paid. This is a reflection of our mission at work – people who are paying what they can or volunteering in exchange for a meal.

  • Currently, 64% of the Café’s annual budget comes from what people are donating/paying for their meals. Every year, we must raise the remaining 36% from individual donors, corporate sponsors, local, state, and national funders, and special events.

  • To-date, Grace Café has the support of 447 individual donors, including 41 monthly sustaining donors. In addition, the Café receives support from 19 faith communities, and 32 national, state and local corporate partners and funders including: The City of Danville, Lift A Life Foundation, The Hudson-Ellis Foundation, TJX Foundation, Clif Bar Family Foundation, Hobart Corp., KY Welfare Foundation, Dana Corp. Foundation, Trim Masters Foundation, Community Trust Bank, Bluegrass Chiro, Farmers National Bank, Stuart Powell Lincoln/Ford/Mazda, Bob Allen Motor Mall, Good Foods Co-op, and the National Christian Foundation.


  • Since opening, Grace Café has invested $80,358.41 in local agriculture by buying direct from local farmers, growers, and artisan food producers.

  • Grace Café’s 2018 Operating Budget when broken down into four main categories, reflects the following expenses:

    • People – 51.34% ($149,140)

    • Food – 26.35% ($76,451)

    • Facility – 13.41% ($38,988)

    • Administration – 8.90% ($25,860)