Join Our Team!
Are you a creative, hard working, experienced and creative Chef/cook who can work under pressure in a busy kitchen environment? Do you love local food and working directly with farmers? Do you want to end hunger and help change the world? Then we want to hear from you!
Grace Café, in Danville, KY, seeks an experienced Chef/Cook with 1 to 3 years of professional restaurant experience to lead our busy Saturday and Sunday service in Danville, KY.
Reports To: Executive Director
Hours: Saturday, 6 am to 1 pm. Sunday, 7 am to 3 pm. 15 hrs/wk.
Salary Range: Hourly, competitive and negotiable. Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Two week paid vacation (Last week in December, first week in January), paid holidays, sick days, and bereavement leave.
Grace Café is a nonprofit community café with a mission to end hunger and food insecurity in Boyle County, KY, featuring a farm-to-table, rotating, seasonal menu offering scratch-made soups, salads, sandwiches and main dish specials.
Since opening in July of 2015, the Café serves an average of 60 meals per day and upwards of 120 meals on Sunday. Visit our Facebook Page to see examples of daily menus.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Weekend Chef is responsible for all food sourcing, menu planning, preparation, and oversight for Saturday and Sunday service. The Chef/Cook will adhere to the core values of Grace Café and our mission-based nonprofit business model, and will focus on a farm-to-table, fresh/local approach for menus and all food served.
Menus and recipes will be developed within the flavor profile of “Southern Home Cooking” and will maintain the highest possible nutritional value. The Weekend Chef will supervise staff including line cooks, dishwashers, and kitchen volunteers, manage all food storage and preparation, and maintain highest food quality and sanitation standards while minimizing waste.
The Weekend Chef/Cook at Grace Café will be a team leader, a team player, comfortable with the media, resourceful, creative, and actively promote Grace Café’s mission at all times.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities Include:
▪ Plans menus for Saturday Breakfast and Sunday Brunch in collaboration with the Executive Director
▪ In collaboration with the Café’s Business Manager, approves the acquisition of all food and necessary kitchen supplies/equipment needed for service
▪ Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times
▪ Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft
▪ Safeguards all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles
▪ Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help assure consistently high quality and minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served
▪ Evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained and orders are fulfilled precisely and sufficiently
▪ Performs other duties as directed.
Other Skills & Abilities
▪ Ability to interact positively and professionally at all times with management, co-workers, board members, and the public to promote our mission, a team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach in and out of the Café
▪ Ability to produce a high volume of work in a timely manner, which is accurate, complete, and of high quality
▪ Ability to come to work regularly and on time, to follow directions, to take criticism, to get along with co-workers and supervisors, to treat co-workers, supervisors and members/guests with respect and courtesy
▪ Complete the Boyle County Heath Department Food Safety Course or equivalent
▪ Culinary degree or applicable 1-3 years professional experience. A kitchen interview will be required.
Please send resume and cover letter HERE. Or apply in person at the Cafe. No phone calls please. Position will remain open until filled.