Weekend Cook/Kitchen Assistant
Grace Café is a nonprofit, pay-what-you-can community café with a joyful mission to provide healthy food security to people in Danville and Boyle County regardless of means.
Title: Weekend Cook/Kitchen Assistant
Hours: Saturday from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Hourly Rate: $9/hr. Overtime eligible after 40 hours worked per week.
Benefits: After a 90-day probationary period employee will receive the following:
· Paid holidays
· 3 paid-time-off days (PTO)
· 3 paid sick days
· 3 paid bereavement days per year
· After one year of service, employee will receive two weeks paid vacation to be taken the last week of the year and the first week of the year.
· All employees receive a meal during each shift
The Weekend Cook/Kitchen Assistant will report to the Weekend Chef and is responsible for assisting with open, prep, execution, and close of Saturday breakfast and Sunday brunch service.
The ideal candidate will have basic cooking skills, be efficient with food prep, and have a clear understanding of commercial kitchen workspace, sanitation and safety best practices. But mostly, must be able to maintain a level head, a positive attitude, and a team spirit at all times. A sense of humor is a huge plus.
The Weekend Cook will also be resourceful, creative, and someone who actively promotes Grace Café’s mission at all times.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Assist with food prep according to the Weekend Chef’s menu plan
· Work the cold line (and hot line as needed) and expedite a smooth service. Ensure all dishes are properly and accurately executed with the highest standards of quality, consistency, and presentation
· Set up station according to guidelines established by daily prep procedure
· Restock all items as needed throughout shift
· Label, wrap, date, and properly store all incoming food items and utilize an appropriate stock rotation
· With the dishwasher, thoroughly clean and sanitize the kitchen after service according to established guidelines. Participate in weekly rotation cleaning of kitchen equipment – range, refrigerators, freezer, hood, etc.
· Train kitchen volunteers and other employees on proper food preparation, dishwashing, and sanitation as needed
· Assists front of house (FOH) with deliveries, cleaning, stocking, or whatever else is needed
· Minimize waste, recycle whenever possible
· Perform other duties as directed
Required Skills & Abilities
· Safe knife handling skills
· Works with speed and accuracy
· Ability to follow directions and suggestions for improvement
· Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure and to solve problems
· Ability to come to work regularly and on time, follow directions, take criticism, get along with co-workers, volunteers, and supervisors, treat co-workers, volunteers, supervisors and members/guests with respect and courtesy
· Ability to interact positively and professionally at all times with management, co-workers, board members, community advisors, and the public to promote our mission, a team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach both in and out of the Café
Qualifications & Requirements
· High school diploma or equivalent
· At least one year of commercial kitchen or restaurant experience is preferred
· Completion of the Boyle County Health Department Food Safety Course or equivalent
· Able to lift up to 50 pounds
· Able to stand for long periods of time and climb stairs
· Grace Café is a drug and tobacco-free workplace/campus
· All Café employees will ensure that all personal social media posts, blogs, and internet content will not misrepresent, degrade or undermine Grace Café, its mission, staff, volunteers, donors, or all other associates
Apply in person at Grace Café during regular business hours. Or, email resume/employment history and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grace Café is an Equal Opportunity Employer.